Another day and another job. Our next port of call was the cutlass bearing which we knew was going to need attention before we bought her…
This was in a bad way. The shaft was as loose as could be which meant we needed to replace the cutlass bearing in order to get a tight seal around the bearing and the shaft. In order to do this we had to take the prop and the rope cutter off. At first we attempted this ourselves with little success. I don’t know if you have ever tried to remove a seized on prop, but anything and everything we tried had little to no effect. After an afternoon of zero productivity we decided to leave it up to the yard who made it seem easy (as always!). While putting lots of pressure on the prop, they heated it up until it simply popped off. The guys suggested that this could simply be done by using boiling water and a hammer if it came to it.
While we had the prop off we had a offer we couldn’t refuse from Becky’s dad to get the prop sand blasted. It is looking slick!
Our prop scrubs up well!